Welcome to the sixth of Altitude Foundation’s #MicroChallenges2020
In challenge number six, we create an adventure game where the user chooses their actions which develops the story.
What’s a Micro Challenge?
These challenges are short activities to help you develop, revise or refresh your coding skills, posted every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Micro Challenge #6
We thought we’d end the week on a bit of a fun challenge: creating a choose your own adventure game!
Sequence a choose your own adventure:
- Create an algorithm for an adventure with multiple options/outcomes. The game could be anything from a version of snakes and ladders (where some options mean that you get sent back to the start) or a roleplaying game, where different choices lead to different interactions/lands. (It might be easiest to start with a game outline and then go back and turn it into an algorithm or pseudocode.)
- You will need to use conditional statements. You can find more information about them here.
- Your adventure can be as detailed as you like – and you can add to it as you get more confident.
- You could potentially use the randomiser from challenge 4 to add a gameplay element.
- Could you create a workable, playable game board to go with your game?
Once you’ve completed the challenge, review it:
— Have you used any coding concepts apart from conditional statements? If so, which ones?
— How might iterations be used in a game like this? If you used the randomiser, how did that affect the way the game was played?
We would love to see what you have created! Please send any pictures, videos, or files of your activities to us – either via Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #MicroChallenges2020 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are emailing them to us, please let us know if you are happy for us to share your stuff on our social media platforms (with credit, of course).
Sign-up here to receive a weekly email with Micro Challenges top tips and solutions: